Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Miles? No, kilometers!

Somehow I always expect the distances shown on highway signs to be correct. I was driving on 128 (I-95) this afternoon, when a sign jumped into my consciousness: Dedham --- 9

What? I was sure it wasn't that far, so I quickly noted the mileage on my odometer. Distance to the Dedham exit? According to my car, it was 5.5 miles, not 9. Let's see, 9 kilometers * 0.62 miles / kilometer = 5.58 miles. Ah, the sign - in this county that insists on not using the metric system - was in kilometers, not the miles that are normally shown on signs here.

I really wish that we used the same measurement system as most of the rest of the world. But we don't, and it is more than a bit disconcerting to be in a country that doesn't use the metric system and have the distance on a road sign shown as just a number where that number happens to be kilometers. Yes, I know, it is just a mistake. I remember some newspaper articles about these distance to town signs when they were first erected. I just assumed that the error would have been corrected by now, but it appears that I was wrong. I feel for the strangers who are trying to navigate here.