Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, January 14, 2007

29 degrees, mist, ice

The pavement was dry when I woke at 6 this morning, but that didn't last too long. Let's see, 29 degrees, heavy mist, and very wet pavement - that means that today is a walking (and not a biking) day.

Brrr... dressed in layers, moving quickly, I warmed up in no time at all. Surprisingly the ground was just wet, with just one square of icy sidewalk passing under my feet. I suspect that there had been a puddle there before the freezing temperatures hit since all of the other surfaces were simply wet, despite the below freezing temperature.

There was water in the air, not raindrops but very heavy mist. It was heavy enough that it was visible, and I was very glad to be wearing a good rain jacket. Droplets of water gathered on my jacket's surface, but it remained dry and warm inside.

As I walked, my eyes picked out things that I wanted to photograph: a (very early) forsythia bloom, ice droplets on plants (that I initially thought were water). After my walk, I grabbed my SLR, switched to the macro lens, and headed out again with an assist from my fossil-fueled vehicle to try to catch some photos.

I didn't feel that I needed to repeat my walk, and more than that I wanted to protect my camera from the water in the air. Walking in the mist a second time just didn't seem necessary.
Water droplets? No, ice!


Yes, it really is January. I think this forsythia is confused; I was very surprised to see several open flowers. I also saw some other types of bushes clad with new buds. The buds and these bright yellow flowers decorating plants in mid-January make me wonder what our spring will be like this year.


Simple beauty, ice crystals clinging to plants beyond the end of their (alive) season

A few more photos from my macro lens playing today can be found on page 5 of my Between the edges of daylight photo gallery.