Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

shh... can you hear that?

Tink, click, clink. Tink, tink...

My feet headed out walking tonight, taking the rest of my body with them, braving the cold and the wind. While the road surfaces and sidewalks remained pristine (as in dry and not icy), fences and rock walls wore a shiny coating of ice. Yesterday's rain was just that, water in the form of rain - but the temperature today dropped degree by degree all day long. It was in the 30s in the morning, but by the end of my work day (and the start of my walk) the thermometer had edged into the low 20s, down, down, down.

Heading down a quiet dark road... hey, what's that I hear? Feet stop, ears listen. Out of the quiet night, sounds were coming from a tree. Tink, click, clink. Tink, tink... An ice-covered branch was moving in the wind, quietly "talking".