Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, July 26, 2014

rental car saga

I didn't pick up a rental car until this morning and as it turned out I think that was a good move. Luckily, there were no other customers in sight at the rental car counters...

Summer is a busy time for visitors here; all of the rental car companies are sold out. My reservation was with Enterprise. When I showed up at the counter at 7 AM there were only two clean cars available, both SUVs. Given that I didn't request the upgrade the car was going to be the same price as the smaller vehicle I had requested. But - I really prefer a smaller car. Josh - the Enterprise representative manning the desk - offered to go out to the lot with me to see if any of the smaller cars returned last night but not yet cleaned were in shape to be rented.

Yay! There were several smaller cars, all clean enough for me. I ended up with a Ford Focus with a push-button ignition. That means that unlike my usual struggle the first day with a rental trying to figure out why the car doesn't start if I don't put the key in the ignition, this time the car feels normal to me.

I'm happy with my vehicle for the week. Now... I'm off to wander.