Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, December 14, 2009

Sand dune sunrise

Morning, still dark, the Sand Dunes were calling to me. The sky was well beyond dark when my feet started moving across the dunes, seeking a place to wait for the sun to rise above the mountains. I walked through flat areas, climbed diagonally up steep dunes, walked a bit further. And then I waited.

It was a beautiful clear sky morning. I could see light reflecting on the mountains before the sun jumped above the horizon. Funny, sunrises seem more impressive when the sky is decorated with clouds, turning colors as the sun moves higher. The sun seemed to edge up slowly and then that flaming ball jumped above the mountains, highlighting ripples in the sand. Beautiful.

sunrise over sand dunes

sunrise over sand dunes


Until last night's ranger talk my Death Valley morning plans were simply to absorb the sights of the sunrise. But then, Bob showed a photo of the spring that is the point of origin of Salt Creek. I walked the Salt Creek boardwalk already, but it didn't take much to convince me to head out there again this morning. I asked Bob how to find the spring, and he told me where to find the jumping off point. Boardwalk to a trail across a salty surface, to water sparkling, reflecting. Deatb Valley is very much a desert, and yet... As I walked I saw the white of salt, green desert plants, and the occasional pool of water.

salt creek

salt creek


Rover and I left for our sunrise viewing just before 6 AM, and it was 10 by the time we returned from Salt Creek. It was time for a late breakfast and time to throw my bags in the car. Before leaving the park, there was one more stop we needed to make.

Bob's talk last night mentioned one more thing that I decided I needed to find. He showed a photo of a sinkhole in Devil's Golf Course. I looked, I walked a bit, heading to the southwest from the information sign (per Bob's description). No sinkhole... Obviously I wasn't in the right place - and neither were the other people who were also searching for sinkholes. The surface is a scary one to walk on - uneven, jagged blocks of crystalline salt.
Oh! I need to jump in here so you know I am looking out for Denise. I told her to be very careful because I think it would really hurt if she tripped and hit the ground - and she listened. She set her feet down carefully on the very crunchy uneven surface. I walked with her down a smooth salty trail to find the spring from which Salt Creek flows, but I told her I wanted to ride in her camera bag instead of bouncing through the clumpy salt of Devil's Golf Course. I think that would have hurt my feet.

--- Rover
Last day in Death Valley National Park for now... but I know that I will be back again. I think this is a good park addiction.