Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Splashes of color

Morning... the day started with one of Evin's wonderful breakfasts, a vegetable frittata, slivers of French toast, and a baked plum topped with granola. Good food, and good conversation. I had the treat of being the only guest at the early breakfast which meant a chance to chat with Evin and to get more tips about my plans for wandering.

I headed to Northeast Harbor for what turned out to be a morning of gardens. I started at Asticou Azalea Garden where the flowers were splashes of color standing out from the green, reflecting in a pond, a feast for my eyes. The paths were freshly raked, and there was a sand garden with patterns surrounding rocks. The azaleas? Yes, they were in perfect bloom!

My next stop was a walk uphill to the Thuya Garden and lodge. While the Azalea Garden was in full bloom, I suspect that Thuya will be more interesting a little bit into summer. There were fewer in bloom flowers, but those that chose to show their colors were beautiful.

Gardens made for peaceful walking. I finished my morning at a public dock, trying to grab a few photos even as the dock was moving on the water. Hmmm... I wonder if my camera was able to compensate for the movement.

Many thanks to Mount Desert Land & Garden Preserve
for maintaining these gardens.