Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

So much to learn

Is it any surprise that I'm (almost) always wandering with my camera? I've been using a camera to capture memories for as long as I can remember, an my fascination with photography seems to continue to grow.

I had the wonderful opportunity in Death Valley to go on a guided walk with a photographer. The focus of our wander on the sand dunes was talking about photography, about improving composition, about using the tools on my camera. The photographer who ran the session grew up with photography, moving from the 35mm world into the digital world. Rather than just spit out generic tips, he asked what we (the forum participants, lucky for me that there were only two of us!) wanted to be able to do with our cameras. When I told him about my travel mode - by bicycle, with as small a load as possible - he suggested methods of bracing (my camera) without a tripod. His attitude was refreshing, focusing on using the available equipment (my fellow attendee was using a point-and-shoot camera) to meet our stated goals.

I found it interesting that he matches my desire to do as much with the camera settings as possible, with little or no post-processing.

Many people - photographers - have told me that a tripod is an absolute must. It was refreshing to get the opposite attitude during that session in Death Valley, and I think I'll continue with my current non-tripod-use for a while longer. I've been resisting the purchase because I need to determine whether it will come with me on my bike; that will make a big difference when it comes to weight considerations. My one long lens has image stabilization, so it is perfectly usable without a tripod. But when I start to explore new photographic techniques, I know I will have more options available to me if I have a tripod. The problem? I know enough about my habits to suspect that I won't be happy with an entry-level tripod. Uh oh!

Sunrise at Zabriskie Point in Death Valley provided a concentrated gathering of photographers, another place to eye equipment, with plenty of time before the sun started its morning show to chat. That time gave me my first view of a graduated neutral density filter. I had recently become aware of these filters; what a great opportunity to talk with a photographer who uses one for almost all of his landscape photography.

Sometimes I think that I have big eyes...

I've been focusing more on composition than I have on the opportunities I have for making changes in how my images are caputured. My goal for the winter is not to buy things, but to have changing settings on my camera become second nature. Right now I need to think things through too much, which tells me I'm not playing enough. It's time to learn and absorb.

I'm playing with my camera, experimenting, but I'm reading too.


This book, Understanding Exposure, looks to be a winner. It was written by Bryan Peterson, a photographer who speaks to all who walk with a camera in hand. It uses photos as examples, showing the same scene caught with different camera settings for what the author refers to as the "photographic triange": aperature, shutter speed and ISO.

I'm reading, and I'm playing with my camera. A happy exercise...