Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, December 31, 2007

Self portrait

A self portrait - me, taking a picture of myself. Now that was an interesting exercise. I'm right-handed but left-eyed. When I peer through the viewfinder of my camera, I use my left eye. If I'm taking a photo in landscape mode, my right eye is blocked by the camera body, and it stays open. But if I'm taking a portrait-mode shot, leaving my right eye open causes confusion, so I usually close it. Confusion? Yes! With both eyes open it feels like I am looking at two different images of the same thing. One image is the size that I normally see with both eyes. The other is a smaller image as seen through the lens. It's a very odd feeling. I had to compose this photo with my right eye closed, then open it before I pressed the shutter. I really didn't want to capture myself with my eye squeezed shut!