Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, December 21, 2007

Solstice

Ah, winter solstice... the day when the sun changes direction, when the edges of the days here in the northern hemisphere start to slowly extend once again.

This year the solstice was a good excuse for a day off, a day to enjoy a breath of fresh air. I headed for the New Hampshire coast for a bit of a wander this afternoon. It was a bit of a challenge to reach the beach in some locations since the snow plows had left quite a pile along the side of the road. It was a challenge that I met without ending up on the ground, lucky!

There was a white band of snow along the edge of the beach, icy patches across the snow, and more waves than I've seen in a while. The waves decorated the air with a low roar as they crashed against the shore.

Once I crossed that white stuff separating me from the beach, walking was fine. But as I wandered through Odiorne Point State Park, breaking through the snow, I realized that a pair of snowshoes would have been a good idea.





Interested in seeing more photos from my coastal wander today? You can find them in my gallery Snow, sand, and the roar of the ocean.