Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

ThinWraps & MetalPrints

My photo galleries live at SmugMug, and Smug recently added two print options that just reached out and grabbed me. Before I made them available, I ordered one of each for me, to decorate my walls and to satisfy my curiosity.

Here are descriptions of both, courtesy of the SmugMug web site:

A ThinWrap is a metallic print with smooth satin laminate neatly wrapped around sturdy, 3/16" board, backed with two 3/4" thick lightweight foam blocks with holes drilled for easy hanging.

A MetalPrint is made by infusing dyes directly into specially coated aluminum sheets, creating truly archival works of art. These MetalPrints showcase a revolutionary new medium that is highly durable, waterproof, weatherproof, and ultra scratch-resistant. The high-gloss sheen gives your photos a vibrant luminescence with incredible detail and resolution. Each MetalPrint comes backed with two 3/4" thick lightweight foam blocks and aluminum plate with drilled holes for easy hanging. When hung, these stunning prints will float off the wall.
I was sure I would like the ThinWrap, and I do. I wasn't so sure about the MetalPrint, and that one just blew me away. Perhaps I was lucky and picked the right photo for the media.

Oh, you want to know which photos I chose?

Sea gull walking on ice near the New Hampshire coast, a ThinWrap:

Sea gull walking, icy reflections


Landscape (icescape!) at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, a MetalPrint:

parker river icescape