Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Schoodic morning

I woke up this morning with the thought that today would be a wander the Schoodic Peninsula day.

Breakfast first, good food and conversations gave the day a proper start. This morning's taste delight was nicely spiced eggs, a variation of french toast mixed with cream cheese and blueberries, and a bit of watermelon. Energy restored, it was time to head out.

As I headed off of the island fog started to appear. It got thicker, dulling the edges, changing the landscape. And it followed me as I drove to the north east, to the next peninsula up the coast. It stayed with me for the entire morning, suddenly clearing to blue skies at about 1pm.

Crossing bridges and seeing fog over the water made me stop twice. The first time was crossing to Thompson Island (in between Mt. Desert Island and the mainland. The second was the bridge on route 1 leading into West Sullivan. Luckily there were places to pull off the road just a short walk from the bridges. The fog does an amazing job at changing the landscape.

The fog continued decorating the landscape as I entered the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park. My first stop was at a long spit made up of "roll-y" rounded rocks. They are not my favorite walking surface, but better rocks that slide under my feet than solid stable rocks wearing a coating of invisible slippery stuff from the ocean. The light was wonderful, a mixture of clear and fog, pulling me to walk to the end of a long section of rounded rocks. When I reached the end I met a couple from Ohio who were traveling with their two dogs. Today was a day of meeting other people who are also addicted to visiting Acadia and who make sure to visit (at least) once in the spring and once in the fall.

Next stop, the magic rocky coastline at the tip of the peninsula. The park service brochure describes it as "a windswept coast with dark diabase dikes that intrude between pink granite ledges". The colored rocks were decorated with occasional pools of water.

The tip of the peninsula is a good place to walk (carefully), to enjoy the shapes and colors of the rocks, to watch the waves crashing against the rocks, to enjoy.

Schoodic definitely contributes to my Acadia addiction.