Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Morning ride, afternoon wander

My day followed a pattern that I've fallen into this summer, a morning ride followed by an afternoon wander to the coast for a bit of camera play. There are times when taking my camera with me as I ride feels like the right thing to do, and there are times when I'm happier splitting my passions into two.

I rode a loop within a loop, enjoying the cool morning air. Then, as the afternoon ushered in warmer air, I headed to the New Hampshire coast.

I started with a visit to Fuller Gardens, a place that has become a favorite of mine. I can see that starting next year I need to purchase an annual membership instead of paying by the visit. Many of the perennials are well past their prime, but the roses are still amazing. When I spoke with one of the gardeners on my first visit there she told me the roses often continue to bloom well past the garden's closing date in October.

A bit further up the coast, I stopped to scramble across some rocks. Careful, careful - it's slippery in spots! Later I stopped at Odiorne Point State Park and then along the outer edges of Portsmouth.

It was a good day!

purple, perennial

watching the sea

reflections near Portsmouth, NH


More photos from this afternoon's wander can be seen at the beginning of the gallery New Hampshire's short coastline - 2010.