Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Waves of cold

I have to keep reminding myself that it is still January, and that our unseasonable warmth is probably going to disappear sooner than I would like. I've adjusted my walking at night layers to take advantage of the warmth to tights, plus a sleeveless long underwear shirt covered by a bright yellow windbreaker. Somehow the extra visibility of a bright jacket appeals to me - even though I'm still wearing my bright blinking lights.

My light layers are right. It takes a few minutes of walking to warm up, but my layers work nicely. Even so, as I was walking tonight I passed through some areas where it felt like a wall of cold enveloped me. In spite of days of above freezing temperatures, there are still piles of snow and ice along the side of the road. And sometimes... the air moving across those piles seems to absorb the cold from that frozen water. Brrr...

Luckily, warmth returns quickly.

Yes, I do like these temperatures! 40s to 50s during the day, low 40s while I'm walking in the early evening. It feels like magic.