Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Chirp!

What's that sound? Chirp! chirp!

I was sitting at my computer this afternoon when I heard birds singing. It was a cheerful sound, not isolated, a sound coming from many birds. I headed to the window to see who was visiting, and I found a tree full of robins. Not one, not two, but a flock of robins sitting on many branches, robins chatting, robins singing.

I remember seeing a tree full of robins during the winter last year too. I thought it was a little odd, but my assumption that these rosy-breasted birds disappeared from this area during the cold months was apparently wrong. I found some information on the American Robin on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology "All about Birds" site that indicated that robins spend much of the winter in their breeding range.

I'd like to continue to believe that the presence of robins is a sign of spring - especially since there is a big snowstorm predicted for tomorrow.