Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, January 18, 2008

Two feet walking, no sliding

Pouring rain early gave way to a dry, sunny day and what appeared to be good walking conditions. Happy...

I headed out in the early evening, and very quickly found deception. The ground that I thought was dry was sometimes covered in a skim coat of ice. The air temperature was above freezing, but the ground was apparently just on the edge. Ah, those dark patches? Ice, slippery!

When I walk after dark I wear lights to be seen, but I don't wear lights to see. Hmmm... tonight, lights to see might have been a good addition.

Once I realized that the patches of ice were just waiting for me, I paid more attention to my path along the side of the road. I managed to stay upright, no ground hugging falls today. Was that pure luck?