Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, January 20, 2017

disturbed

The word disturbed is my word of the day. I've seen two definitions, one as a verb and one as an adjective. The verb disturb means "cause to feel anxious". The adjective disturbed is "suffering or resulting from emotional and mental problems". So I suppose it makes sense to say that I am disturbed by the disturbed individual who was sworn in to the highest office in the country today.

I hope that there are enough sane individuals serving in congress to balance the insanity I fear is coming. I will try to stay positive, I will continue to follow my representatives in Congress, and I will keep an eye out for volunteer opportunities where I can help.

It helps to know I am not alone in my feelings.


Three posters created by artist Shepard Fairey for the "We the people" campaign of the Amplifier Foundation caught my eye. The artist is encouraging attendees of tomorrow's Women's March to print and carry the posters for the march.

From the Washington Post article titled "The artist who created the Obama ‘Hope’ posters is back with new art this inauguration":

Ahead of the inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump, Fairey launched the “We the People Campaign,” which he says focuses on the groups that Trump disparaged in his campaign and that may feel threatened by the incoming administration. The campaign includes three posters by Fairey of an African American, Latino and Muslim woman.

text by Perry Stein of The Washington Post

We The People poster by Shepard Fairey, posted with permission from The Amplifier Foundation

"We The People" poster by Shephard Fairey
posted with permission from The Amplifier Foundation

"We the People is a nonpartisan campaign dedicated to igniting a national dialogue about American identity and values through public art and story sharing"