Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, January 25, 2015

uh oh! blizzard watch

As the snow ended yesterday I saw rumblings of an impending storm for Tuesday. My main source of weather forecasts is the Boston office of the National Weather Service but I also follow David Epstein.

The forecast late yesterday showed uncertainty. This morning that changed with a blizzard watch for eastern coastal Massachusetts:

"...A MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT THE REGION MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT WITH 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE..."

One to two feet of snow? Yikes!

National Weather Service BOSTON forecast map

I've been visiting the new (and experimental) Winter Weather Page on the Boston National Weather Service page. When there is an impending storm there is an interactive maps that show the percentage probability of different depths of snow. Right now it shows a 100% probability that there will be more than 8 inches of snow, a 69% probability of more that 12 inches, and a 51% probability for more than 18 inches.

snow depth probabilities

It look like Tuesday will be a work from home day. I'm so glad to have the ability to work wherever I have my computer and an Internet connection.