Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sunscreen conundrum...

...solved!

I've been using the same sunscreen for years now. It was a gel, SPF 30, and protected against both UVA and UVB. Note that I said was, not is. I haven't seen it locally for a long time so I got into the habit of ordering multiple bottles at once from an online retailer. Imagine my surprise when I went to place an order recently to find that it had disappeared. Yikes!

My first step in searching for a replacement was to visit a local store and try to pick from the sunscreens in stock. I picked up a bottle of Coppertone Sport, used it once, and tossed the bottle. Oh, it worked, no sunburn - but it took minutes of washing to get the residue off of my hands. Nope, not for me.

Next, online search. I tried two more sunscreens, Solbar PF Liquid and TruKid Sunny Days. Solbar is a gel, with active ingredients similar to those in my previous favorite sunscreen. Trukid is zinc oxide based, surprisingly not sticky, with a light orange scent. Yup, TruKid is marketed for children, but what works on children works for me too! I've tried them both on sunny days, and luckily both work. I still prefer the gel for ease of use but that light orange scent is nice. Hmm...

sunscreen choices, solbar & trukid