Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

Traveling

Early morning, dark, pouring rain...

It was early enough that while there was traffic it was moving at a good rate of speed. I was lucky; there was enough of a lull in the rain that I was able to move from my car to the shuttle bus that would take me to the airport without getting soaked.

It's a two plane day, Boston to Dallas, Dallas to Palm Springs. I briefly considered trying to get a non-stop flight to LA then driving from there. I think that might have taken slightly less time than the two-plane hop, but with good connections I figured I'd stay in the air.

After flying for a bit over an hour and a half the pilot announced that we are over Ohio. The only other state I caught on the flight plan is Arkansas, one of the five remaining states in the country that I have yet to set foot in. One of these days I'll need to plan some trips to touch those states, hopefully in two sets of two plus a later lone state trip. This year? I suspect not, but you never know. I have quite a few vacation destinations jumping around my head right now; after I return from this trip I guess I'd better sort out the possibilities. I'm torn between a number of locations in North America, plus two possibilities in Europe. Acadia is a definite for one visit, probably two. One or more national parks in the west are calling to me. And...

I know, I know, it's pretty amazing to be able to fly across the country in a number of hours - but I'd love to be able to arrive in the blink of an eye. I can dream, can't I?


By the time the plane landed in Dallas the sun was shining. I briefly considered going for a walk outside. Walking inside along the concourse won out, no need to go through security again! It felt good to stretch my legs before boarding airplane number two for the just under 3 hour flight to Palm Springs.


Ah, a break, some walking, a quick bite to eat and it was time to board, time to fly. Plane # 2 of the day has wifi access with the first 30 minutes offered at no charge. Nice.

Posted from the air, somewhere over Texas to the west of Dallas