Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Plum Island afternoon

Yesterday's snow moved away; today brought blue sky decorated with clouds, a cold morning with temperatures in the mid-teens. I decided to wait until it warmed up a bit, and I wanted to hit the coast when the tide was going out. Since high tide this morning was a bit after 10 AM I decided to leave home at around noon to head to Parker River National Wildlife Refuge.

It was a quiet day in the refuge. I don't think I saw more than 10 or 12 other people there, and the birds seemed to be hiding too. I had a good walk on the beach followed by a bit of a wander on the inland side of the refuge. Ah, there were some birds on that side, Canada Goose paddling around in open (inland) water. Much of what usually is flowing water was trapped beneath ice.

beach reflections, Parker River National Wildlife Refuge

inland, some open water, Parker River National Wildlife Refuge

More photos from today can be viewed in the gallery Parker River - 2012 starting with this photo and ending here.