Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

No stopping

Traveling on limited access highways is a fast path to a destination, but oh! sometimes I am so tempted to stop along the side of the road, to absorb the sights around me, to capture a photo.

Today's temptation was the Castleton-on-Hudson Bridge spanning the Hudson River on the Berkshire Connector of the New York Thruway. As I flew across the bridge at highway speeds, a tight grip on the steering wheel was needed to counteract the forces of the wind. The bridge is high above the (apparently frozen) river surface, 4-lanes wide with no shoulders and a grated section between the east- and west-bound lanes. No, of course I didn't stop!

Let's see, where else have I been tempted to stop (but didn't)? I'd love to stop on the Piscataqua River Bridge on Interstate 95 between Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Kittery, Maine. There is a lift bridge a bit further down the river that I have crossed by foot and by bicycle but the higher interstate bridge offers a different view. The Confederation Bridge between PEI and Nova Scotia is different sort of bridge, much lower and much much longer (at seven miles long), yet equally tempting.

Sometimes access is granted. Walking on the new Colorado River Bridge (part of the Hoover Dam Bypass project) during my wanders in the west in December was a treat.

Do bridges tempt you too?

view of the Hoover Dam from the new Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge