Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Narrow

With each storm the roads have been shrinking, getting narrower and narrower.

The highways are fine, as are major roads, but roads through neighborhoods are frightening. Before this week's pair of storms most of the roads were wide enough for two cars to pass. That's no longer the case. Some side streets are still (barely) wide enough for two cars, with no additional space for safe walking. On other streets the cleared portion is slightly wider than a single lane.

While I much prefer using the neighborhood streets as my daily walking canvas, I'm lucky that I live next to a small college where both the roads and the sidewalks are nicely cleared. My after dark walking has been limited to loops around (the cleared roads and walks of) that campus.

Here's hoping this trend of narrowing roadways reverses very soon.