Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Acadia in color

I really wanted a picture of myself on top of Gorham Mountain, but the wind was blowing so hard I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stay on the ground. But oh! I suppose I should start at the beginning, shouldn't I?

It took us a long time to get to the start of our hike this morning. I think we headed out at about 9:20, and we didn't walk out of the Sand Beach parking lot to start our loop up Gorham Mountain until close to noon. It took a long time to get to Sand Beach because Denise kept seeing things that made her stop, to walk, to look a little closer. The mountains were painted in trees wearing autumn colors. The sun played hide and seek all day, so sometimes the colors were brilliant and sometimes they were dark. We walked down paths, some that were created by other people, and some that I think might have been created by animals. Some were dry, some streaming with water. All of the funky paths brought us closer to the colors that pulled Denise off of the road.

Ah, Sand Beach! We walked on the beach a bit, then headed down Ocean Trail towards the start of the Gorham Mountain Trail. Denise likes to do that trail as a loop instead of an out and back walk. Ocean Trail to the start of Gorham Mountain trail, up the mountain, up, up, following trail markers across the top, backtracking when we were slightly off track. Then the down started. Down a trail that carried running water, hopping from rock to rock, trying to maintain dry feet. And oh! the wind was howling.

We headed up Cadillac Mountain (with the help of the car). We stopped often to enjoy the scenery, and we did some walking around the top of the mountain. The wind was so strong that Denise had trouble standing in one place; it was easier to walk than it was to stand still. I hid from the wind in Denise's camera pack, keeping the zipper open enough so I could enjoy the scenery. I really didn't want to fly off of that mountain!

The temperature crept up to the high 40s, dropping as we climbed to the top of Cadillac. Denise was really glad she had a fleece hat and mittens to wear. It sounds like tomorrow will be another sunny, chilly day, another day for wearing layers and happy wandering. Until tomorrow...

--- Rover