Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Late day, misty, gray

The end of the rain...
Water has been falling from the sky since Sunday night. Ah, finally, a change.

I thought about taking a different route home tonight, but I decided to chance my normal roads. During the last big rainstorm just two weeks ago I had to turn away from home to get home, avoiding a very flooded road. My fingers were crossed tonight; luck held! The river I was concerned about was far from its normal small stream. While water was flowing above the river's normal banks, it hadn't yet encroached on the road. Tomorrow morning might be a different story though.

Water, water, everywhere. AGAIN! From the stats I've seen on rainfall, it appears that the area where I live was graced with somewhere between 3 and 5 inches of rain, much less than in some areas. The worst of the storm was to the south, in southeastern Massachusetts, much worse in Rhode Island and Connecticut. Luck stayed with me here in the northeastern part of the state.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
430 PM EDT WED MAR 31 2010

THIS 48 HOUR EVENT WAS COMPRISED OF COLD FRONTAL GENERATED RAINFALL MONDAY THE 29TH AND THEN A NOREASTER ON TUESDAY THE 30TH.

RECORD DAILY RAINS OCCURRED ON MONDAY THE 29TH WITH THE RECORD RAINS ON TUESDAY CONFINED TO RHODE ISLAND AND GENERALLY THE EAST HALF OF MASSACHUSETTS, EXCLUSIVE OF THE CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS.

THE RESULTANT MONTHLY TOTALS, 3 MAJOR RAIN EVENTS BETWEEN MARCH 13-31, EXCEEDED THE ALL TIME MONTHLY RECORDS OF THE TROPICAL EVENT RELATED AUGUST 1955 TOTALS FROM PROVIDENCE RI TO JUST SOUTHWEST OF BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS.

WIDESPREAD MAJOR FLOODING OCCURRED IN RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS...AND...THESE CUMULATIVE MONTHLY RAINS FORCED THE PAWTUXET RIVER IN CRANSTON TO A FLOOD STAGE 6 FEET ABOVE THE ALL TIME FLOOD OF RECORD...SET JUST 2 WEEKS AGO...MARCH 15TH 2010.
Public Information Statement Courtesy of the National Weather Service

I walked the last two evenings in steady to heavy rain. Today the rain changed to a heavy mist; by the time I headed out for a calming walk tonight I was greeted my mostly dry air. Much better!

reflections, trees surrounded by water

daffodils emerging, covered in raindrops


And yes, I'm very lucky. I'm dry.