Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, May 20, 2016

a walk in the woods

Maudslay State Park was a horticultural and agricultural estate before it became the property of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation and was transformed into a state park. Azalea and rhododendron are scattered through the property; this is the time of year when the flowers start to appear.

When I visited the park just over a week ago it was still early. Today I saw bright flowers on both types of plants. Some are still wearing only leaves, some are wearing early buds, and some are bursting with bright blooms.

azalea in bloom, Maudslay State Park

I know I'll need to visit often over the next few weeks to watch the transformation. I'm happy I discovered just a few weeks back that I was eligible for a lifetime Senior MassParks Pass for $10. That pass now lives in my car so it will always be available when I need it.