Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, December 20, 2014

upgrade complete

Phew! My phone is upgraded and working...

When I saw the announcement for Windows Phone 8.1 many months ago I went to my phone and looked for updates. Nothing... At some point I figured that Verizon wasn't going to push the update for older phones and Windows Phone 8 continued to work. I was just curious about the new features announced for 8.1.

Imagine my surprise when I checked for updates on my phone yesterday and found that there were updates available. It seems a bit odd that the first update was an upgrade to Windows Phone 8 with the statement that the update would make it easier to apply the Windows Phone 8.1 update. It feels like the full update process took hours. First there was the initial update to Windows 8, then the download of the 8.1 update. That took forever! It stuck at 96% for a very long time, then finally jumped to the page where I had to agree to the terms to continue the upgrade. Interestingly enough there were pages of text - and the install button wasn't enabled until I scrolled to the bottom of the page. I clicked install, the phone restarted (slowly), the install started. I walked away from the phone during this process so I'm not sure how long the install and subsequent phone configuration took. I have to admit I had visions of the upgrade failing, leaving me with a non-working phone, yikes!

Finally, the install and configuration completed. It's time to explore the new features.