Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, October 31, 2014

quietside morning

A chilly morning led me to flip my plans for the day leaving an uphill walk for (potentially) warmer afternoon temperatures.

I started with a quick visit to see the remaining muted color at the Asticou Azalea Gardens, an uphill walk to Thuya Gardens where I found just a few flowers still blooming. Next I headed to the quietside of the island for a walk in the woods. While I prefer to walk in the open I enjoy the Ship Harbor trail. The turnaround point is on a rocky point looking out at the ocean. It's a good spot to sit and soak in the scenery.

The loop road that led to the trail (and to Bass Harbor Light) crosses a bridge at the town line between Tremont and Southwest Harbor on a spot that always calls to me to stop. Luckily it's in a spot where there is plenty of space to pull off of the road since I needed to look at the water, reflections of clouds, simple beauty.

still waters on Mt. Desert Island, at the town line between Southwest Harbor and Tremont
--- photo by phone ---