Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, September 06, 2014

before the rain

It was a hot and muggy day, with the forecast calling for late day (severe) thunderstorms.

I managed to get a bike ride in before the temperature rose to an uncomfortable level, then decided to head for the New Hampshire coast to do some walking. I chose the boat launching area at Odiorne Point State Park as my wandering spot, walking through the woods and onto the somewhat rocky shore line of the Piscataqua River. I continued walking until I heard the sound of distant repeating thunder. The sky was still showing blue but continued thunder led me to jump onto a trail that headed in the direction of my car. I chatted with someone on the trail who had just heard there were severe thunderstorms in Exeter, a bit inland from our current location. I walked faster, arriving at my car before the rain started.

I thought about waiting out the rain but knowing there was a forecast for late day thunderstorms I turned back toward home.

a mid-tide view, Odiorne Point State Park