Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Old Faithful to Norris Geyser Basin

I wish I could capture the sounds of Yellowstone, the sound of the rush of water, of mud pots bubbling, crackling sounds, sounds to delight the senses.

Somehow I managed to cover much less distance today than I planned. The road through the center of the park is a figure 8, or two squares stacked on one another. I thought I would get around the lower loop today but I wasn't even close! Not to worry, it was another good day.

I walked park of the Old Faithful geyser basin last night. This morning started with a full exploration. Most was covered on foot, but when I looked at the map I decided to head back to the inn to pick up the car. I'm glad I made that decision since I discovered later that it was 4 miles back to the inn from the farthest point at Biscuit Basin. I walked as far as Morning Glory Pool before I turned back; I think it would have been 1+ miles to Biscuit Basin, a loop there, and 4 more to the inn. Nope, I don't know how many miles my feet have on them from today!

I stopped at many places between Old Faithful and my 30 miles away end point of Norris Geyser Basin. If something caught my eye, I stopped. That shouldn't surprise anyone; it's pretty normal for me.

There were two loops at Norris Geyser Basin, the larger Back Basin, and Porcelain Basin. I'm glad I walked both although of the two Porcelain Basin was by far my favorite. Back Basin had geysers and wet areas scattered through forest. It felt like a pretty long walk; when I finished there I was tempted to stop. Luckily t, a very different look in comparison with the places I've walked so far. The trail finished at the top of Porcelain Basin. As soon as I saw the exquisite turquoise of some of the water below I knew I needed to keep walking. It was a walking loop, but it was also a loop for me to stand and soak in my surroundings, enthralled by the colors.

I have an idea of where I'll be wandering tomorrow but I don't think I should tell you. This appears to be a holiday of not following plans!