Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

a hidden gem

The weather forecast for today called for a pretty good chance of rain. That was yesterday; when I woke up this morning the sun was shining and the forecast had changed, calling for a hot, humid, sunny day.

I headed out on my bicycle early, before the heat arrived. That was a good start, but...

I felt restless today; I needed to find a new place to wander. I have no idea what made me look to Cape Ann, but I'm very glad that Halibut Point State Park in Rockport, Massachusetts caught my eye. The Babson Farm Quarry is at the center of the park, with easy access to a very rocky coastline. Beautiful, a wonderful place for an afternoon wander.

There are two parks side-by-side, the state park plus the Halibut Point Reservation, owned by the Trustees of Reservations. I plan to return to visit the reservation; I needed to escape the heat after a couple of hours in the state park.

quarry, Halibut Point State Park

More photos from today can be viewed in the gallery Halibut Point, quarry and ocean.