Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Beach walk? Not today!

Yesterday was a lazy day, a day to stay close to home. Today? I thought it would be a good day for a walk on the beach, so I headed to the New Hampshire coast.

A tree dressed in bright orange leaves caught my eye just before I reached the Hampton exit on I-95. My usual habit at that exit is to jump onto route 101, taking it east to the ocean. That tree pulled at me so I took the first right off of 101, hoping... Ah, found it! Just before the road was about to head under I-95 I saw the tree just off to my left. I turned, parked, and played.

orange leaves, reflection

I continued on to the coast, turning left to head north. I was surprised to see a road that was wet in spots, wet from water crashing over the sea walls. Rocks that usually host birds were under water, the waves were rolling in, crashing, and there was very little beach available for walking.
300 AM EST SUN NOV 7 2010

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR WESTERN MAINE AND SOUTHEASTERN NEW HAMPSHIRE.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

THE HIGH ASTRONOMICAL TIDE THIS MORNING /11.4 FT AT 1113 EST AT PORTLAND/ SHOULD NOT BE MUCH OF AN ISSUE...ALTHOUGH SEAS REMAIN HIGH...SO SOME MINOR SPLASHOVER OR BEACH EROSION COULD OCCUR. THE HIGH TIDE TONIGHT IS ONLY 9.9 FT...AND NO PROBLEMS ARE EXPECTED.

Forecast courtesy of the National Weather Service
It was still a wonderful day for walking along the coast, listening to the ocean. It just wasn't a beach day.

crashing waves

bare branches, sculpted tree

waves, rocks, a sky painted in clouds

More photos from today can be seen in the gallery New Hampshire's short coastline - 2010. The newest photos are at the beginning of the gallery.