Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Observe, absorb

I opened the latest issue of American Bicyclist this morning, and the reprint of Henri Boulanger's blog entry titled "Just Ride" jumped off the page at me. He talks about enjoying cycling - not getting pulled in by things, but about riding, enjoying the moment, looking around.

Henri's observations apply to more than bikes though. I find myself riding or walking, always looking, absorbing life around me. Yes, many times I have a camera in my hand, but not always. I wonder if my wandering on a bike at a slow pace, or wandering with a camera in my hand... have these activities trained my senses?

I highly recommend that you read Henri's blog entry Just Ride. Yes, read it, even if you're not a cyclist. And as you read it, realize that it was written by a 13-year-old bicyclist, someone who is very in touch with his thoughts and his surroundings. We can all learn from his words.