Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, January 27, 2019

windy

With today's temperature predicted to reach into the low 40s I decided to head to the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge for a walk on the beach. Initially I planned to get there a bit before low tide this morning but I changed my plans when I woke up to find the air at a chilly 19 degrees.

My walk on the beach started about an hour after low tide, with plenty of firm sand for comfortable walking. I headed south to start, walking into an unpopulated section of beach. I saw a single flock of sanderlings at the water's edge early in my walk. Since they seem to chase food by running after a receding wave I suspect they are more present as the tide is flowing out.

Once I turned north to return to my starting point the wind was at my back. It picked up sand from the beach, erasing footprints from people and birds, returning the beach to a pristine state.

Can you see the wind?

a windy morning at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge