Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, August 31, 2018

back to the beach

The last plover chick on the (previously closed) beach at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge fledged last week. Since most of the piping plover have now left the area, the beach is now fully open. While I respect the need for closure to protect the birds, I am always happy to take my first walk there once the birds have ceded access to the beach back to humans.

Low tide on Plum Island this morning was at 9:34. I arrived about an hour before the tide changed direction to enjoy a walk on the beach. The sound of the waves is calming, and walking on the smooth and still wet sand is wonderful. While there were a few other people out walking too, most of the time I shared the beach with sea gulls, sanderlings, and a few other shore birds.

It was a good day for a walk on the beach.

Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
looking inland

Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
looking out to sea