Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, August 13, 2018

a coastal walk

I contemplated heading to the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge before my visitor center shift yesterday to walk a small section of newly opened beach. I thought twice about my plans after getting caught in a deluge during my morning exercise walk - we had 2+ inches of rain in the morning, nothing close to the 8+ inches that fell in Lynn, MA at the same time. My decision was to walk after I closed the visitor center.

It started to sprinkle as I headed into the refuge. Luckily the rain quickly stopped, leaving only brisk winds. The birds still have control of much of the beach, but the section between parking lots 1 & 2 opened to people early on Saturday.

I was delighted to walk on the beach as the tide was heading out, sharing the beach with a few other people and many sea birds.

beach as tide is heading out, at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge

sea gull sharing the beach, Parker River National Wildlife Refuge