Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, December 01, 2017

upgrade :: Fuji X-T2

It was over two years ago when I jumped into the mirrorless camera world with the purchase of a Fuji X-T1. I held on to my Canon 7D and lenses for a long time, finally selling in September. The cash was put to good use, feeding my desire for an upgrade to my camera.

I've been eyeing the Fuji X-T2 for a while, believing that there were enough changes in the camera body to warrant a purchase. When I saw an instant rebate from Fuji in combination with a photo show at Hunt's Photo & Video in Melrose I decided it was the right time. I picked up an X-T2 at the beginning of November and I've been attached to it ever since.

Fujifilm X-T2

There were a number of new and changed features that jumped out at me as must haves. First the sensor is 24 megapixels (X-Trans CMOS III). That's a welcome change from the X-T1 with its 16 megapixel sensor. Given that I do sometimes crop photos I prefer to have more megapixels to start. Next, the X-T2 has many more (up to 325) focus points, and a very fast autofocus of 0.06 seconds. One change that I love is the focus stick on the back of the camera; it allows me to quickly move the focus point.

While I usually focus using the viewfinder there are times when the flip screen is the focus point of choice. On the X-T1 it was very usable if shooting landscape mode images but it wasn't as helpful for portrait mode. That's fixed very nicely on the X-T2 with a flip screen that articulates 3 ways, two horizontal and one vertical. Awesome!

There are dual SD card slots with settings for the photographer to designate how they are used.

I'm still exploring the camera; so far I'm very happy.

All of the photos in my blog posted on or after November 6th were taken with the X-T2. I've included a few more samples here.

on the NH coast, at Jenness Beach
waves along Jenness Beach

Memorial Bridge
Memorial Bridge, Portsmouth, NH

Reid State Park
ocean action at Reid State Park

chrysanthemum
chrysanthemum at Longwood Gardens

orchids
orchids in the greenhouses of Lyman Estate

If you're interested in a review of this camera, check Karen Hutton's article The Fujifilm X-T2: First Impressions & Images.