Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

powerful

I am appalled by the president's order yesterday to reduce the size of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments by over 2 million acres combined. The order reduced Bears Ears by 85% and Grand Staircase-Escalante by 46%. There are lawsuits filed already; I suspect that more will be coming.

At the same time I was delighted to see this powerful statement on the home page of Patagonia's web site:

the president stole your land

I'm hoping that this order can be overturned. Opening up protected lands to development leads to destruction.

The article 'The President Stole Your Land': Patagonia, REI blast Trump on national monument rollbacks published by the Washington Post provides a good summary.

I also found the opinion article Trump’s National Monument Reduction Is Illegal and Likely to Be Reversed in Adventure Journal to be an interesting read. I'm trying to hold on to hope.

...and a day later, the National Parks Conservation Association published the blog post 7 Facts About the Trump Administration’s Illegal Attack on National Monuments . Perhaps this is a battle that can be won. I hope.