Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

flipping seasons

The temperature was in the 30s when I went to sleep last night and in the mid-50s when I woke up this morning. It felt like early spring, not early winter. Wanting to take advantage of the warmth, I headed to the New Hampshire coast.

It was still gray when I left home but as I headed to the east the sky started clearing. There were still clouds decorating the sky, sometimes white against blue, sometimes against gray. A strong wind blew the entire time I was out; luckily the warmth in the air counterbalanced the chill created by the wind.

inland view, along the New Hampshire coast

Ponds on the inland side of the road were frozen, wearing just a skim of water on top of the ice. That created a somewhat smooth surface for reflections; if the pond hadn't been frozen I suspect that the wind would have pushed the water into waves.