Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, April 26, 2015

to the sea

It was a day for a calming walk by the sea.

I headed to the New Hampshire coast without a specific stopping point, knowing (hoping!) that something interesting would catch my eye. I hopped out of the car at Odiorne Point State Park in Rye, NH, choosing to walk a loop starting along the coast and following an inland trail to return. The trails in the park are easy walking, the coastline not so much.

I wanted to get close to the tide pools which meant traversing the very loose rounded rocks along the coast. It was close to low tide when I arrived, slippery seaweed exposed. I walked across still brown sea grass and onto what appeared to be dry mud flats. I hoped the dried mud was in a state to hold a human walking. I was very lucky that it was; I had images of sinking up to my ankles in mud!

It was a wonderful day to walk along the coast. As I looked to the east and south I saw blue sky decorated with white clouds. Later interesting patterns of gray emerged, especially as I looked inland. I love the combination of an interesting sky and coastal scenery.

tide pools, at Odiorne Point State Park

More photos from today can be seen in the gallery New Hampshire coast 2015 starting with this photo and ending here.