Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, March 07, 2011

I wish...

Oh how I wish Hawaii was closer, or that there was some magic mode of transport that would allow me to hop across the width of North America and a chunk of the Pacific Ocean in the blink of an eye. Maybe I should try Dorothy's trick from the Wizard of Oz...

There's an eruption in Hawaii, flaming red lava spewing from a fissure in Kīlauea's east rift zone. Volcanoes fascinate me; I'd love to see an active eruption. I was able to see flowing lava on just one of my visits to the Big Island, a quietly flowing, need to be careful not to step in the wrong place kind of lava. I wonder if I could drop a hint to Pele to send me a message when she decides the volcanoes should be wonderfully active. I know, I know, I'm going to need to settle for photos for now.

Pu`u `Ō `ō and Napau Crater on Kilauea’s east rift zone
Photo courtesy of USGS Hawaii Volcano Observatory