Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

High tide

I felt the need to walk by the sea. Even though I knew that the tide was high I headed to the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge for a few hours. When I arrived, the air was wet and the sky was gray. The light drizzle stopped fairly quickly, and the clouds started moving. It was a bit chilly with temperatures in the 30s so walking quickly was the order of the day.

I may need to return next weekend at low tide since I still need a long walk on the beach there. Next weekend is the last before the annual April 1st turnover of the beach to the piping plovers.

"Each year beginning April 1 st, the majority of the refuge beach is closed to all public to provide undisturbed nesting and feeding habitat for the federally threatened piping plover."

From the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge web site
sea gull atop a pole

magic clouds over marsh

pounding waves

More photos from today can be seen in the gallery Parker River wonders - 2011, beginning with this photo and ending here.