Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Question...

You've probably heard me complain about how bad the street signs are in northeastern Massachusetts. If you're on a road that goes somewhere - as opposed to wandering through a neighborhood - there is no sign on the corner of the road proclaiming its name. There are signs on the teeny tiny streets, but not the more heavily traveled roads. I suppose the assumption is that everyone must know the name, so why spend the money for a sign?

I was just out walking. As I approached a corner, a postman pulled his truck to the side of the road, popped out, and said "I know, I'm supposed to be answering the question... but do you know where Summer St. is?" He was lucky that happened to be a street name that I knew, and that it was the cross street at the corner just ahead.

That encounter made both of us smile.