Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Creatures in the sand

This weekend was the annual New England Sand Sculpting Festival at Revere Beach. I thought I would head to Revere Beach this morning - early, before there were hordes of people around - to see the creatures emerging from the sand, fleeting creations of artists. I kept an eye on the weather forecast; heavy rain was predicted for last night followed by a possibly rainy morning. So... I headed out yesterday afternoon.

It would have been a quieter scene in the morning, but I would have missed seeing the sculptors at work. I'm absolutely amazed at the intricate work that can be done in sand.

sand sculpture by Justin Gordon

sand sculpture by Matt Long

More photos can be seen in my gallery Emerging from sand.



Read about the festival in the Boston Globe article At Revere, sport meets art.