Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, March 08, 2009

A little magic

What luck! It was a weekend of two sunny and relatively warm days, good days for walking by the sea. I was planning to wander near home today, but the ocean called to me once again. I headed to the New Hampshire coast to spend some more time walking along the ocean, visiting a pair of mute swans, talking to other people out enjoying the day.

And look - my camera caught a little bit of magic! I have to admit that it took me a while to realize what had jumped in to my camera. I'm always fascinated by the mute swans, watching them paddle, turning their heads, looking around.

When I first saw this photo I almost deleted it. There was something odd there, very odd. I saw a muted triangle of white to the right of the swan's head. What is that? I looked closer, and closer yet. Do you see the feet? And the long, long wings? Somehow my camera captured a sea gull, flying quickly past the slowly paddling mute swan.

mute swan with a blink of an eye image of a flying gull


Can you see the sea gull?