Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, October 01, 2007

(Temperature) perceptions

Why is it that when it is 60 degrees out (yes Fahrenheit!) in March or April it feels positively warm, but that same temperature in October has a bit of chill in it?

Yes, I know, we have entered the autumn equinox and the weather wizard is playing along with the season. But brrr! I headed out walking after work, dressed to fight the chill. It's a human adaptation thing; I know I'll be fine in a couple of weeks when I'm used to the declining temperatures.


And then I'll mess with my internal thermometer once more by heading to Death Valley to do some hiking at the end of the month. The average temperatures there are very different in October vs. November, and I'll be there a couple days in each month. I suppose I should just assume that the average will be sometime in between the two months.

From the weather & climate page on the Death Valley National Park web page: