Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, October 19, 2007

Mist rising

It was a driving afternoon. I started the weekend a little early, heading out at 2 PM in order to miss the Friday afternoon exodus (heading west) from Boston along the Mass Pike.

Gray was the color of the day, getting darker and darker, unusually dark given the time of day, until rain started falling. The rain stayed with me until western Massachusetts, when I was treated with an incredible view. Water stopped falling from the sky, and the mist started lifting. Waves of mist were still visible, with bright autumn colors popping underneath the mist, highlighting the trees. What a beautiful sight.

I have to admit, it took a lot of self-control for me to not give in to the desire to stop and attempt to capture some of that beauty with my camera. But oh, stopping on a limited access highway with cars flying by at 70 to 80 miles per hour is really not a good idea. And yes, I did behave (this time). Photographs are only available in my mind.