Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Blue sky, and then...

Today was a day when the weather wizard got the better of me.

I rolled out on my bike under blue skies studded with white clouds. But - uh oh! what's that dark gray spot? The forecast called for thunderstorms in the afternoon, it was still morning, and most of the sky was inviting. So - I chose to ignore the gray patch. As you'll soon see, that wasn't a very good idea.

Pedals turning, wheels rolling, I was a short 2 miles from home when I started feeling raindrops. Rain, light rain, getting heavier, heavier...

I stopped, waited for traffic to clear, then turned toward home. That was apparently a signal to the weather wizard, and water stopped falling from the sky. What to do, what to do? I was damp but not totally soaked. The temperature was quite warm, so I decided to turn around again and continue my loop.

It stayed dry for a bit. Then the rain started. It wasn't too heavy. It was still OK for riding, but I cut may planned loop a bit short and headed towards home - just in case. Closer, closer, closer still... the rain started to get heavier. Oh! The skies have opened up. Waves of rain, harder, harder. It was getting difficult to see, but I was within a quarter of a mile of home. I pushed on.

Home again...

Do you want to know how much water there was? I took my cycling shoes off to find a puddle inside!