Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Accidental photos

I started walking this morning wearing a light windbreaker. The temperature edged higher and I tied the jacket around my waist. That worked, mostly. I realized that it was getting looser, so I reached down to retie it. (I know, I know, it would have been smarter to have thrown it into the daypack was adorning my back. But then I wouldn't have this story to tell, would I?)

I was walking with my camera around my neck, left hand threaded through the strap attached to my monopod also providing a bit of support to my camera. I thought nothing about continuing to hold the camera with my left hand at the same time using both hands to reach for my jacket sleeves. All of a sudden I heard a noise from the camera. What!??! Ah, I must have hit the shutter; the camera responded and shot a photo. Mind you, this was as I continued to walk. I was not looking through the camera or controlling it in any way other than having it attached to me in two places, wrist and neck.

Once I saw the first accidental photo, I attempted a deliberate accidental shot. I have the say that I prefer the first (real) accident over the second. I wonder if I will ever be able to create something like this on purpose.

swirling colors, accidental

swirling colors, deliberate