Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Oops

Would you believe that after my long conversation with the Dell sales rep two weeks ago about installing a 32-bit vs. 64-bit operating system on my new computer that they installed the wrong one?

I decided to go with 64-bit after verifying that the software that I use most often can run there. I didn't check when I turned the computer on; I guess I should have. It wasn't until I was signing up for the Windows 7 upgrade that I realized something was (somewhat) wrong. I was only given the option to upgrade to Windows 7 32-bit. I thought that was pretty odd since I was supposed to be running 64-bit Vista now, and I didn't think it was possible to upgrade to the other version. It's not.

I jumped in to a chat with Dell, and was told that the order had been for 32-bit. Very odd. It's not a problem though - they are sending me Vista 64-bit. I'm glad I hadn't made it too far in installing software and configuring the machine since I'm going to need to wipe the hard drive to change operating systems.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use my new baby as is. It's a sweet machine.