Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, February 14, 2021

butterflies on my mind

While snow continues to cover the ground, my desire to stand among butterflies has been growing. I watched the forecast for a couple of weeks, looking for a day without snow and ice with a target of driving west in the state to visit the butterflies at Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory. This past Thursday turned out to be a perfect day for a drive and a visit.

The drive from home is about an hour and 45 minutes, starting on highways then switching to 2-lane roads. Arrival at the butterfly conservatory was just before 11 AM; my friend and I easily fell within the 50-guest limit for entry. We didn't need to wait any longer to satisfy our need for butterflies!

It was a sunny day. The butterflies reacted by flitting about, sometimes lighting on a food source, sometimes walking on people. I wore a sleeveless shirt once I entered the warmth of the conservatory so at times I had the experience of feeling butterflies walking on my skin.

Butterflies are delightful!

Antiochus longwing butterfly perched on a flower

If you'd like to see more butterflies click to the gallery flitter, flutter, butterfly :: 2021.